Our Hill Skills Course is designed to give you an insight into what you need to know and do, in order to have a safe and enjoyable day in the mountains. The Hills Skills courses are run from a variety of locations in the Lake District, Snowdonia and the Peak District.
- Weather Forecasts and mountain weather
- Equipment - what to take
- Food for the hills
- How to avoid getting lost, but what to do if you find yourself 'navigationally challenged'
- Route finding and route choice
- Moving on steeper ground
- Dealing with emergencies - Your role in staying safe and getting help if you need it in an emergency
- Water crossings
- Enjoying and preserving the mountain environment
- GPS and how it can help/hinder you on a day in the hills
- Approximately 6 hours walking on rough ground including some walking away from marked paths
- Some walking on steep slopes
- These walks are often subject to inclement weather
- A reasonable level of ftness is required
Who's it for?
- Suitable for anyone wanting to learn basic navigation skills. No prior experience is required.
- We do not recommend this navigation course for children under 14.
- Under 18’s must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
Use the links below to check our prices then contact us and we'll do our best to run this event just for you on a date that suits (subject to a minimum group size of course!)